Computer fails to connect with TomTom

The device and Windows do their USB dance long before MyDrive is installed or running on any computer. The USB capabilities negotiation takes place between Windows and the device. The driver that Windows initially assigns to the device is decided based upon that identification.

If you start completely from scratch on a PC that has never seen MyDrive Connect (or well and truly wipe it from one), I imagine that once connected, the misidentification of the TomTom as a COM device, which causes MyDrive Connect to not be able to see it, will still be an issue.
Uh, No... the TT instructions make it clear that you install MyDrive first, then plug in the GPS. Indeed, IF you plug in the GPS first, nothing at all happens - the PC doesnt see it.

But I have lots of PCs, and can try ALL options.....

So, I tried a virgin PC, installed MyDrive, and then plugged in the GPS. It popped up as com3 but MyDrive would not connect.

That's when I thought to try a MAC. It connected with no problem.

Uh, No... the TT instructions make it clear that you install MyDrive first, then plug in the GPS.
You have misunderstood.

My point is that if you do it in reverse order, or just don't load MyDrive Connect at all, I'm afraid you would discover that Windows and the TT device have already made the mistake of defining your device as a COM device for some thus far unknown reason.

MyDrive Connect doesn't negotiate the initial device type, Windows does. Just pointing out that it's up to Windows to figure out what to do with a newly connected USB device, and if that process doesn't go correctly, MyDrive Connect can't jump in on the conversation since it doesn't see a device it recognizes.

I've now tried all the proposed solutions from the TomTom people (different USB cable, different USB port, check that antivirus isn't blocking, gone through the whole uninstall/reinstall rigmarole), and none of them work. The device remains firmly connected to the computer, and the computer equally firmly ignores it completely. Moreover, I've tried it on two other computers with the same result, or lack thereof. I'm beginning to suspect that the device itself is sick.

Having just gone through the same thing - and been referred by TT tech support to some scammer who wnated $200 to "fix my PC", I tried installng MyDrive on a MAC and it connected just fine.

The problem is that TT has messed up the code for MyDrive on Windows and didn't bother testing.

You have misunderstood.

My point is that if you do it in reverse order, or just don't load MyDrive Connect at all, I'm afraid you would discover that Windows and the TT device have already made the mistake of defining your device as a COM device for some thus far unknown reason.

MyDrive Connect doesn't negotiate the initial device type, Windows does. Just pointing out that it's up to Windows to figure out what to do with a newly connected USB device, and if that process doesn't go correctly, MyDrive Connect can't jump in on the conversation since it doesn't see a device it recognizes.

No.. I didnt misunderstand. I've checked that possibility and it's not true.

Windows and the GPS device make no connection and have not defined the GPS as anything. Only when MyDrive is installed and executed does Windows see the GPS and *THEN* installs it as a COM device.

Absolutely and without question, the problem is the MyDrive code. TT created an update that broke the connection. It *used* to work fine.

The only thing I have been unable to try is using a previous version of MyDrive. I was hoping that I had a PC somewhere that had the older version installed, and I could run it without an internet connection so that TT could not update it. Or that I saved the installation code (I usually do), but I haven't found it.

The other thing I am tempted to try is installing Windows 11 on one of my machines and seeing it it works there. I'm just a bit concerned that Windows 11 might cause other problems, since I've been using Windsows 10 on all machines...

...although... I also have an old dual cpu server with multiple OSes installed - 64b Windows 10, 64b Windows 7, and a Russian version of 32b Windows 7. I doubt MyDrive is installed, but I wonder what MyDrive will do running under Windows 7 ..... or if I install Windows 11 as another option there just for grins...lotsa room...10TB of HDD on that fella.

Thing is, I expect no difference in result from changing Windows versions. It's the MyDrive code that is causing the problem. If you've got an older version handing around, I/we could try that.

Meanwhile, my immediate problem is fixed: Using a MacBookPro, I installed the MAC version of MyDrive and updated my old GPS so it finds the satellites again. Alas, I cant update the map because the file size now exceed the memory. But, the TT problems also pushed me into really checking out my smartphone options, and WAZE seems to work very well, with new maps and alerts my old TomTom can''t support.

Nevertheless, you get a big thank you for providing the tools and insight needed to get this far.

It may be time to trash TomTom once and for all - as they seem to have trashed us. I think that is the basic problem: the market for a separate GPS has dried up and TomTom is headed for the dust bin of history. One reason I have an extra TomTom is that my partner stopped using the GPS long ago in favor of his iPhone which gave better directions because it was always up-to-date..

"Windows and the GPS device make no connection and have not defined the GPS as anything."

As soon as ANY USB device is first connected to a Windows computer, Windows enters into a conversation with the device to determine, among other things, the device type, speed and power requirements. As part of that dance, the device sends a "device descriptor" to the operating system. Windows then deals with the device based upon that descriptor. This is true whether there is any other app or 3rd party driver installed on the Windows machine (including MyDrive Connect). Even if Windows doesn't yet have any tools at all to deal with the type of device that is connected, it gets shuttled over into the "Other" category as can be seen in Device Manager. But it IS handled in some fashion based upon the device descriptor, and WILL appear as some sort of device in Device Manager.

What we are seeing here is that somewhere in this negotiation, Windows is seeing or is at any rate assigning an inappropriate device descriptor to the TomTom device. This is what we observe in both USBDeview and in Device Manager. The TomTom device is being called what amounts to a 'USB to COM port dongle', and the Windows driver associated with such devices is being assigned to the TomTom.

"Windows and the GPS device make no connection and have not defined the GPS as anything."

As soon as ANY USB device is first connected to a Windows computer, Windows enters into a conversation with the device to determine, among other things, the device type, speed and power requirements. As part of that dance, the device sends a "device descriptor" to the operating system. Windows then deals with the device based upon that descriptor. This is true whether there is any other app or 3rd party driver installed on the Windows machine (including MyDrive Connect). Even if Windows doesn't yet have any tools at all to deal with the type of device that is connected, it gets shuttled over into the "Other" category as can be seen in Device Manager. But it IS handled in some fashion based upon the device descriptor, and WILL appear as some sort of device in Device Manager.

What we are seeing here is that somewhere in this negotiation, Windows is seeing or is at any rate assigning an inappropriate device descriptor to the TomTom device. This is what we observe in both USBDeview and in Device Manager. The TomTom device is being called what amounts to a 'USB to COM port dongle', and the Windows driver associated with such devices is being assigned to the TomTom.
I did not see the GPS device *anywhere* in device manager until I executed MyDrive.

I did not see the GPS device *anywhere* in device manager until I executed MyDrive.
No explanation. USB and Windows have always worked as described above. I assume Windows gave its usual audio indication of a connected device when plugged in?

No explanation. USB and Windows have always worked as described above. I assume Windows gave its usual audio indication of a connected device when plugged in?
I do not recall any tone. I have the GPS set to turn on with power, and it turned on. So I knew it was getting power.

I do not recall any tone. I have the GPS set to turn on with power, and it turned on. So I knew it was getting power.
If you normally get audio indication of a USB device being connected, and did not hear this when the TomTom was connected, even without a MyDrive installation, then something far more basic is at issue here.

If you normally get audio indication of a USB device being connected, and did not hear this when the TomTom was connected, even without a MyDrive installation, then something far more basic is at issue here.
Exactly. It doesn't connect without MyDrive leading the way.

Exactly. It doesn't connect without MyDrive leading the way.
Trying again. A functioning USB device, upon connection to the Windows OS, will provide an audio indication of the connection, even with NO 3rd party software involved. Windows might make a 'happy' (Device Connect) or 'unhappy' (Device Failed to Connect) sound (you can configure which sound is used), but unless there's something far more fundamentally wrong, it will always make SOME sound, even with no 3rd party software involved.

If no sound occurs, then there's more wrong than whatever malfunctioning 3rd party software might cause.

Trying again. A functioning USB device, upon connection to the Windows OS, will provide an audio indication of the connection, even with NO 3rd party software involved. Windows might make a 'happy' (Device Connect) or 'unhappy' (Device Failed to Connect) sound (you can configure which sound is used), but unless there's something far more fundamentally wrong, it will always make SOME sound, even with no 3rd party software involved.

If no sound occurs, then there's more wrong than whatever malfunctioning 3rd party software might cause.
As I said, I don't recall a sound. I don't get a sound when I plug other USB devices in either. I may have it turned off.

I do find that rather odd too. Plugging in a USB device usually creates in an up sound from the PC, confirming that both have made a (electronic) hand shake and are ready to communicate with each other.
It is now up to the installed software on either to view or up/download data through their programs.

If no sound when connected.
It's just an idea, maybe the USB ports are disabled on your computer.

If no sound when connected.
It's just an idea, maybe the USB ports are disabled on your computer.
No. I either didn't notice (TV was on) or I disabled the sound. USB ports are fine.

I tried three different PCs. One where I have MyDrive Connect installed and used in the past to update my GPS. It was working fine until TT updated the program. Now, the GPS won't connect.

After trying to clean that PC of all traces of MyDrive and re-installing, it still failed.

Then I tried a laptop I havent used in ages. Very clean, although I had to install a lot of Windows updates. Then I installed a pristine copy of MyDriveConnect. Same result.

OK, so let's try another desktop. Really, I was hoping to find an older version of MyDrive installed, but no. Just for grins, I installed a fresh copy and got the same exact result again.

I was ready to throw the GPS in the trash bin but tried one last thing: A MacbookPro. I recalled seeing that there is a Mac version of MyDrive. So Installed it on the Mac and VOILA, the GPS connected just fine.

I was able to update my GPS so it now finds the satellites again. Back in business.

What is VERY clear from this is that the TomTom Windows software is the problem. We know its not a GPS problem because it works on the Mac. We know its not a Windows problem because all other USB devices work fine AND it worked before TomTom updated their software . We know its not a PC problem because the same failure now occurs on multiple PCs. That leaves TomTom's MyDrive software "update".

*IF* MS did something in a Windows 10 update that makes it incompatible with [only] TomTom devices, I'd still say it's a TomTom fault.

What really burns me is that TomTom's "Help Desk" sent me to a scammer to fix the problem.

I do find that rather odd too. Plugging in a USB device usually creates in an up sound from the PC, confirming that both have made a (electronic) hand shake and are ready to communicate with each other.
It is now up to the installed software on either to view or up/download data through their programs.
I probably just didnt notice, or turned the sound and/or the alert off. I hate all the alerts...

What really burns me is that TomTom's "Help Desk" sent me to a scammer to fix the problem.
Are you sure you were in touch with the TT help desk. There are scammers masquerading as the official Help Desk. For information TT no longer have telephone contacts so if you thought you were speaking to TT then that may not have been the case.

Are you sure you were in touch with the TT help desk. There are scammers masquerading as the official Help Desk. For information TT no longer have telephone contacts so if you thought you were speaking to TT then that may not have been the case.
I used the link provided in their software. The help desk said it was beyond them, and turned it over to what they called their tech support. They called me.

What link are you referring to? @TonyGr is correct that there are scammer sites out there. The US does not have live support for TomTom as far as I know.

What link are you referring to? @TonyGr is correct that there are scammer sites out there. The US does not have live support for TomTom as far as I know.
The link in TT's software. Its not a scammer site.

Ask a Question