Computer fails to connect with TomTom

The issue is: computer and app MyDriveConnect doesnt recognize TomTom Go Expert Plus 7 device. Nothing more and nothing less. I'm not talking about updating device. What for is TomTom MyDriveConnect app if users cant use it coz device is not seen? Maybe TomTom should say to users GoExpert Plus 7 device: "Dont use MyDriveConnect app coz its impossible?

Ok:) This is going very well :) So, can you please tell me how i can install new voices with MyDriveConnect if my device is not seen by my computer and MyDriveConnect app?

Your GO Expert does not need to be connected to Mydrive connect to make updates.
With an exception or two. For example, the "Add Voices" option requires the MDC connection. Can't do that over WiFi.

Edit: I see you acknowledged this in a subsequent post.

The fact that TT still hasn't gotten the USB enumeration code on these devices to properly interface with the USB/TCP bridge code in MDC after all this time is inexcusable. It's a known bug at TT.

I just read through this thread after contact TT tech support and being sent to some 3rd party service who told me my Win10 drivers are all out of date and stopped, then tried to sell me a service agreement for $200.00. IN FACT, MS says my machine is 100% up to date as of 7:35AM this morning, but I went ahead and did another update and a full virus scan. Same result: MyConnect doesnt see my TT GPS. I have two: both 1430/1435.

So... I downloaded the USBDeview you provided above, (ty) and what it tells me is that my computer sees and connects to the TT devices just fine. But MyConnect does not.

The issue I'm trying to correct is that they no longer find any satellites. Has TT disabled support?

I just read through this thread after contact TT tech support and being sent to some 3rd party service who told me my Win10 drivers are all out of date and stopped, then tried to sell me a service agreement for $200.00. IN FACT, MS says my machine is 100% up to date as of 7:35AM this morning, but I went ahead and did another update and a full virus scan. Same result: MyConnect doesnt see my TT GPS. I have two: both 1430/1435.

So... I downloaded the USBDeview you provided above, (ty) and what it tells me is that my computer sees and connects to the TT devices just fine. But MyConnect does not.

The issue I'm trying to correct is that they no longer find any satellites. Has TT disabled support?
What USBDeview is able to tell you is that you have a successful USB connection, which is an important starting point.
Now, next check to see what Device Manager sees when your Via is plugged in. It should show up as a device in the "Network Adapters" category when you plug it in AND there's a copy of MyDrive Connect running on your PC. What do you see there?

What USBDeview is able to tell you is that you have a successful USB connection, which is an important starting point.
Now, next check to see what Device Manager sees when your Via is plugged in. It should show up as a device in the "Network Adapters" category when you plug it in AND there's a copy of MyDrive Connect running on your PC. What do you see there?
MyDrive Connect is running, but Device Mgr shows no TT. MyDrive says my device isn't responding. The TT turns on when I plug it into the USB port on the PC, so we know that at least the power connection is being made.

Attachments

• tomtom1.JPG
    tomtom1.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 22
OK. Your USBDeview shows that the initial USB connection has an identification problem. Everything USBDeview is showing us indicates that the device has been identified as a serial to USB dongle, which isn't right. MyDrive won't latch onto it given that situation.

The clues are several. From your device's report:

Service Name: usbser.sys
Service Description: @usbser.inf,%UsbSerial.DriverDesc% (etc)
Driver InfSection: UsbSerial_Install

Here's what it should instead resemble:

Service Name: usbrndis6
Service Description: @netrndis.inf,%usbrndis6.Service.DispName%;USB RNDIS6 Adapter
Driver InfSection: RNDIS.NT.5.1

I suspect that if you look carefully in Device Manager, you will see that your TomTom is appearing in the "Ports" section as a serial (COM4) connected device. If so, advise. We'll need to wipe out the existing driver data for your TomTom and let it reinstall.

Last edited:
OK. Your USBDeview shows that the initial USB connection has an identification problem. Everything USBDeview is showing us indicates that the device has been identified as a serial to USB dongle, which isn't right. MyDrive won't latch onto it given that situation.

The clues are several. From your device's report:

Service Name: usbser.sys
Service Description: @usbser.inf,%UsbSerial.DriverDesc% (etc)
Driver InfSection: UsbSerial_Install

Here's what it should instead resemble:

Service Name: usbrndis6
Service Description: @netrndis.inf,%usbrndis6.Service.DispName%;USB RNDIS6 Adapter
Driver InfSection: RNDIS.NT.5.1

I suspect that if you look carefully in Device Manager, you will see that your TomTom is appearing in the "Ports" section as a serial (COM4) connected device. If so, advise. We'll need to wipe out the existing driver data for your TomTom and let it reinstall.
Yup. Exactly correct. Why would it do that after all this time? This is NOT a new install - though I did let "MyDrive" update itself. So how do I wipe out the TT driver data?

I uninstalled the COM4 device. I re-installed MyDrive. I then ran MyDrive and plugged in the TT. It came back as a COM4 device.

Directly to the device.

Seriously, I'm becoming less and less impressed with TomTom. A premium product such as this should work straight out of the box, not need IT expertise to make it do what it's supposed to do.
I am also following this thread, as I am having an identical problem with my new Superior 7.
I didn't really expect much better. As bizarre as it looks, that's the current state of the comms between these latest devices and Windows. They still don't produce a proper "Device Name" (just the long set of digits you see there) nor does the serial number appear as one would expect. Have mentioned this to TomTom, but nothing new so far. Anyway, what you see there is 'normal', such as it is.

I was hoping that production code would be working better, but evidently not. For what it's worth, I originally reported this issue to TT over 3 months ago. Until the USB negotiation is corrected, MyDrive Connect won't be able to see these devices (those with serial numbers starting with B3 or B4)
My Serial no starts with B4, so I am knackered as well. Thanks Canderson for your help and expertise.

Last edited:
Yup. Exactly correct. Why would it do that after all this time? This is NOT a new install - though I did let "MyDrive" update itself. So how do I wipe out the TT driver data?

I uninstalled the COM4 device. I re-installed MyDrive. I then ran MyDrive and plugged in the TT. It came back as a COM4 device.
Well crap. That was my next suggestion - delete the device within DeviceManager. What I can't figure out is why your device is negotiating a serial dongle capability with Windows when you connect it.
I really don't want to get you wrapped around using RegEdit to find (using Vendor ID 1390) delete any entries for TomTom devices, and that's probably the only solution left, if any.

If you have someone you can call on who is truly up on registry backup and use of RegEdit, it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

I am also following this thread, as I am having an identical problem with my new Superior 7.

My Serial no starts with B4, so I am knackered as well. Thanks Canderson for your help and expertise.
Sorry to say, no news on this front yet, either.
The only good news is that this latest generation of devices can handle all additions/updates apart from voices using WiFi.

Well crap. That was my next suggestion - delete the device within DeviceManager. What I can't figure out is why your device is negotiating a serial dongle capability with Windows when you connect it.
I really don't want to get you wrapped around using RegEdit to find (using Vendor ID 1390) delete any entries for TomTom devices, and that's probably the only solution left, if any.

If you have someone you can call on who is truly up on registry backup and use of RegEdit, it's certainly within the realm of possibility.
I'm a 76yo retired techie. Though my later years were spent "strategic planning" for the US Govt, I've dug into muiti-million dollar comm gear with a screwdriver to keep the stock markets open and wrote the original code to distribute secure US electronic assets to allied agencies worldwide.

Regedit isn't a problem....just not familiar with TomTom. :)

Thanks. I will let you know how things work out.

I'm a 76yo retired techie. Though my later years were spent "strategic planning" for the US Govt, I've dug into muiti-million dollar comm gear with a screwdriver to keep the stock markets open and wrote the original code to distribute secure US electronic assets to allied agencies worldwide.

Regedit isn't a problem....just not familiar with TomTom. :)

Thanks. I will let you know how things work out.
Then go for it! You can either take out anything with the TomTom VID (1390) or be even more specific, if you have any other TomTom's handy that needn't be disturbed, and only take out those 1390's with a PID of 5454.

Some years back, I had a TomTom Bridge + Windows create a similar situation for me, and I had to exorcise all of the matching VID/PID data for the device before it would connect properly again.

Then go for it! You can either take out anything with the TomTom VID (1390) or be even more specific, if you have any other TomTom's handy that needn't be disturbed, and only take out those 1390's with a PID of 5454.

Some years back, I had a TomTom Bridge + Windows create a similar situation for me, and I had to exorcise all of the matching VID/PID data for the device before it would connect properly again.
Sooooo..... I wiped everything in the registry related to TomTom, VID=1390, which was more painful than expected becasue several of the entries were protected and I had to change permissions to give me ownership before I could delete them. Once completely cleaned of anything containing or referencing VID 1390, I also cleaned the registry with CC Cleaner to get rid of any other offending entries that might somehow cause a problem. I then shut down for the night.

Today, after rebooting and making sure everything was running correctly after messing with the registry, I started USBDeview just to see what it would report. Then, I executed MyDriveConnect, which showed that I had no devices. I went to "add a device", and plugged in one of my TomTom GPS.

Immediately, USBDeview showed the TomTom connected as COM5. Grrrrr.

I switched physical USB ports to one on the back (desktop) in case the front panel port was going through a daughter board or something (I built it, but I forget details of the internals.) No change - it comes up as COM5 again, and MyDrive NEVER connects.

At this point, I am more than just aggravated. When I contacted TomTom about this, they connected me to some third party "tech support" that told me a lot of bullshit about how messed uip my computer was, full of viruses and malware and out of date drivers, which they could fix if I signed up for their $200/year service contract. According to them, my antivirus program (Avast) is not good, and my drivers are all way out of date despite MS saying they are up to date as of 7:35AM that morning. (PC turns on at 7:30AM).

Just to be sure, I ran a full virus scan on 2TB of disk, forced another update of Windows, and cleaned the registry as indicated above. None of which turned up any issues.

As I type, my GPS device is still trying to connect. MyDrive timed out.

The net result is that not only are the TomTom GPS devices non-functional, but TomTom support sent me to a scammer for assistance. NOT HAPPY ! ! ! (well, I did do a bit of cleanup as a result)

I thank you for YOUR help, but it looks to me like TomTom is only fit for the trash these days.

Yes, if your TT and Windows insist on negotiating capabilities as a USB-COM device, there's no hope for getting connected to MyDrive. MyDrive looks for the TomTom's USB connect, converting it into a NIC card, more or less, though the 'bridge' software internal to MyDrive. But MyDrive looks for it under USB devices, not COM devices.

Yes, if your TT and Windows insist on negotiating capabilities as a USB-COM device, there's no hope for getting connected to MyDrive. MyDrive looks for the TomTom's USB connect, converting it into a NIC card, more or less, though the 'bridge' software internal to MyDrive. But MyDrive looks for it under USB devices, not COM devices.
Really piss-poor of TomTom on many fronts.

Just to close out the Windows problem, I tried another PC. Laptop in this case. Installed MyDrive and tried connecting the GPS. The GPS showed uip as COM3 and MyDrive could not connect.

SOoooo... I tried one more thing: a MacBookPro. I installed the MAC version of MyDrive and plugged in the GPS. VOILA! Connected!!!

I have updated the navigation and satnav fix, and my GPS now finds the satellites again.. Presently, I am updating the map.

I think this proves absolutely that it's TomTom's update to the Windows version of MyDrive that has screwed everything up.

I think this proves absolutely that it's TomTom's update to the Windows version of MyDrive that has screwed everything up.
The device and Windows do their USB dance long before MyDrive is installed or running on any computer. The USB capabilities negotiation takes place between Windows and the device. The driver that Windows initially assigns to the device is decided based upon that identification.

If you start completely from scratch on a PC that has never seen MyDrive Connect (or well and truly wipe it from one), I imagine that once connected, the misidentification of the TomTom as a COM device, which causes MyDrive Connect to not be able to see it, will still be an issue.

Ask a Question