Startup Images for 4.3" and 5" Wide-Screen Models

For my fellow Trekkies out there :D

startrek.jpg

I made this from a photo a took in Los Angeles, for my VIA 1535 5"

tthom2.png

@Rodriguez
I downloaded it, and the original *.jpg appears to be a full 480x272 which should be the right size for your Via 125.

Did you right click on it and use "Save Image As"?

Understand, it's a JPG file that you will have to convert to BMP. If that's an issue, I can convert it for you.

In fact, here you go, ready to use...
I had to zip it because it was too big to leave here as a bmp file. Sorry.

Attachments

• splashw.zip
    154.2 KB · Views: 336
@Rodriguez
I downloaded it, and the original *.jpg appears to be a full 480x272 which should be the right size for your Via 125.

Did you right click on it and use "Save Image As"?

Understand, it's a JPG file that you will have to convert to BMP. If that's an issue, I can convert it for you.

I installed the image in JPG and then BMP but still appears the same way. Strange. Will try again tomorrow.
Thank you so much.

JPG will definitely NOT work for you. Anything other than a 24 bit BMP that is 480 x 272 pixels will malfunction in one way or another.

You must, of course, SELECT this as your startup image from the Settings menu.

@canderson

This might be something that's changed.

I got caught out with it when I suggested to PGPSW that they should re-launch their old splashscreen library.
The admin did it "cleverly" rather than just leaving them as forum posts, but the downloads the system created were .jpgs.
So I immediately said "That will never work!" To which he replied "Well they do on my TomTom!"...

I've not got round to investigating it properly (it's on a very long list of "things to do... one day"), but I think they may now have some internal routine in the new models to re-size images, including .jpgs, for use ass splashscreens.

I've no idea why a basic 480 x 272 .bmp isn't working for the OP though.

Interesting. I'll have to try tossing a JPG version at one of my Nav3 units to see what happens. Given the WebKit interface for displaying things now, one could easily imagine that this software would include a JPG renderer.

I rechecked the BMP that I posted for the OP, and it flies on my GO1535 unit with the same screen size. Not sure what's broken on his end.

To the OP. Are you having any difficulty at all with loading the BMP image with Add Community Content? Does Add Community Content display a thumbnail of the image on that page once you've loaded it?

Test follows in next message.

OK -
Starting with pre-sized (480x272) JPG image.

Used Add Community Content to load it up. The thumbnail of the JPG image shows up correctly in Add Community Content.

Went to unit and looked at "Change shut-down image" selections. The JPG image is NOT rendered as a thumbnail there, although it does appear as a rectangular box with the root filename that was used. It was at this point that I bailed on the idea of using a JPG before.

Ignoring the lack of a thumbnail rendering, I went ahead and selected the JPG file as the shut-down screen.

Turned unit off, and lo and behold, the JPG is being rendered as the shut-down image!

So it does work, but there is a bug that is preventing these Nav3 devices from rendering JPG thumbnails in the menu where you make the selection of the screen to be used.

I already have one image on my TT that appears when I turn on and off the device. It's JPG and works just fine. But now it's happening what you just said. When I install the image, I go to the device and it doesn't display a thumbnail. Only a outline with nothing on it and the name of the image.

Ah, you CAN select that 'blank' thumbnail and it should work. I've tested that on two units now. It's just that for some reason, the thumbnail doesn't seem to display. If you DO select the empty box with the filename as your startup or shutdown image, what happens when you .. start up and shut down?

Ah, you CAN select that 'blank' thumbnail and it should work. I've tested that on two units now. It's just that for some reason, the thumbnail doesn't seem to display. If you DO select the empty box with the filename as your startup or shutdown image, what happens when you .. start up and shut down?

When I start up or shut down, the image appears but not full screen. Probably it's because of the size of it.

Interesting -- your 125 is a 5" screen, isn't it? How much of the screen is being filled with the image? A rough approximation would help us understand what you're seeing.

A 480x272 is standard for any 4.3" or 5" TomTom screen I've ever run across, but having never had a 125 to play with, and while it's hard to imagine they changed it just for that model, I suppose anything is possible.

canderson, I don't know why but I've tried again, installed the image and now appears full screen. Just great. :)
Thank you for your time.

Well, I must say I'm relieved. Confused, but relieved!

Glad I wasn't imagining my hunch about jpgs!

Have you reported the thumbnail display bug, canderson?

There is something weird.
Checking back, the last post I had from this thread was # 160.

Today I was getting eMail notification of Andy's post and clicking the URL this list opened on post # 165.

Ask a Question