Cant download maps to new formatted 32Gb sd card

That's simply NOT true. Yes, the TomTom fills the cards with ext2 partitions when it 'formats' them, but they can be installed in a PC and cleanly formatted back as FAT32 after the fact. I've done this frequently when repurposing cards previously used in TomTom devices.

That said, of course you CANNOT just take one of these cards of out a TomTom and place it directly into another device. It must first be properly re-formatted on your PC as FAT32 or whatever the receiving device prefers. If you don't know how to reformat a uSD card in your PC, let us know and we'll discuss that as a separate issue.

1) I put the 32 GB sd card in a plastic holder
2) connect via an unused SD slot in my laptop
3) laptop syas it wants to format the card
4) try to format it and after a whil says it cant be formatted and the desktop ikon comes up with qustion marks after the logo for the F drive ie the micro card so have bought a new one that has formatted ok and I can use this in my camera

so whats going on and never had this problem with anything untill it went near a tomtom essentials

On the plus side I am still using the tomtom Go 910 as a back up which took me a minute to make the route up in the itinery plan by simply ADDING stops and then copy our route to sweden in from win explore to the desktop with about 10 stops as the cities along the rout as 910 softwar simply bi passed the centers seeing further cities on the fastest route and I was able to copy the route file from the itn (itinerary) folder on one 910 and copy it to the itn folder on the second 910 I have and hey presto it works also with no faffing around with tomtom Home or tomtom my drive as in the essentials so with the 910 the operator has far more control to make things work but with essentials and the remote server its down to tom tom unfortunately

Thanks just read the relevant thread,
I shall watch, not hold my breath

Thank you ‘canderson’
I eargerly await news. Where might I know whether the issued has been addressed?
When you see version 24.100.0003 offered for update as that will probably be the release that fixes it.

1) I put the 32 GB sd card in a plastic holder
Usually the adapter won't be a problem - unless the adapter has a slide lock.
2) connect via an unused SD slot in my laptop
Windows or Apple?
3) laptop syas it wants to format the card
That's unusual. You should be telling IT that you wish to format it, but that's neither here nor there. If it asks, say NO, then go to This PC / My Computer / whatever you've got and select the card, right click, and request a format yourself.
4) try to format it
Using what format settings? That's important. Here's what it looks like on any recent vintage Windows system:

Format.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question