Do you think my Go Premium X is dead

Hi, I started having problems after an update last October whereby all my Live Services stopped working, I was told by email support that I would have to do a hard reset on my device but to do a back up beforehand. Opened MyDrive which said it needed updating so I let it do that and afterwards I couldn't install it again for some reason. Itold support this via the email relay messaging service but they just kept repeating what had already been said.

Come the end of November I was whipped into Hospital for Cancer surgery so haven't used my car since and forgot all about my Satnav, I've finally recovered enough to start driving again so have been trying to sort it out. It hasn't been used at all for 6 months but I did manage to download a new version of My Drive. I plugged my device into my PC via USB and My Drive said it didn't need updating but, I left it plugged in but it just keeps recycling through boot up, if I hold the button in I get the progress bar going across the bottom of the screen but just before it completes I get the USB disconnect sound and the screen goes black. If I continue to hold the button in it just keeps cycling through the same procedure although I did get the boot screen up briefly. I'm mainly concerned with being able to get my Favourite Places off my device as a lot of them are important to my business. Any suggestions? Sorry it went on a bit.

T.I.A.
Ron

Hi
I think I understood that your GPS went 6 months without being recharged so in my opinion your battery is completely discharged.

The first thing you need to do is plug your GPS into a smartphone mains charger for at least 2 hours.

Then check that your GPS is working correctly.

Hi Willy875,

You were absolutely right thank you, I charged it up and there was another software download and some maps waiting so I downloaded those but I still don't have any Live Services. Should I still do a hard reset and reinstall everything?

T.I.A.
Ron

Hi Willy875,

You were absolutely right thank you, I charged it up and there was another software download and some maps waiting so I downloaded those but I still don't have any Live Services. Should I still do a hard reset and reinstall everything?

T.I.A.
Ron
Does your device show the 'cloud' symbol indicating that you're connected to TT's cloud server?

Hi, Yes I have the wi-fi, bluetooth and cloud symbols but traffic symbol is greyed out.

Thanks,
Ron
Good - we know you're getting an 'outside' connection and able to at least log in to the cloud server.
I assume "greyed out" means the two cars with the little "X" symbol.

As a starting point, go to the "About" in the device's menu and see what it says about a traffic subscription. You are still current, yes?

I suspect the reason that TomTom is suggesting a "hard reset" is in case the device no longer remembers that you have opted to share location data that is necessary to establish your position so they know what area of traffic data to send. I'd recommend that you do once attempt to correct this through the Factory Reset option on your device. It will restart with the original questions of country, etc., and ONE of those questions will be regarding information sharing.

From the manual:

Note: If you choose not to send location information to us, you will no longer receive our services. This is because services need to send the location of your device to TomTom in order to receive the traffic information related to where you are. The end date of your subscription remains the same, even if you do not send this information to us.

If your device still shows a current traffic subscription and a Factory Reset doesn't do the job, you'll need to contact TT directly to reinstate the service. No live operators these days, so the "Chat" service has to be employed with fingers crossed that you can convince it to connect you to a non-bot operator.

Hi, Yes I have the wi-fi, bluetooth and cloud symbols but traffic symbol is greyed out.

Thanks,
Ron
Is it the icon that indicates your location that is grayed out?

1715239426818.jpeg

Look at the top right of the main menu.
If your Tomtom GO PREMIUM is not connected to the Tomtom Trafic service, the symbol
corresponding is marked with a cross.

1715240055424.jpeg

Good - we know you're getting an 'outside' connection and able to at least log in to the cloud server.
I assume "greyed out" means the two cars with the little "X" symbol.

As a starting point, go to the "About" in the device's menu and see what it says about a traffic subscription. You are still current, yes?

I suspect the reason that TomTom is suggesting a "hard reset" is in case the device no longer remembers that you have opted to share location data that is necessary to establish your position so they know what area of traffic data to send. I'd recommend that you do once attempt to correct this through the Factory Reset option on your device. It will restart with the original questions of country, etc., and ONE of those questions will be regarding information sharing.

From the manual:

Note: If you choose not to send location information to us, you will no longer receive our services. This is because services need to send the location of your device to TomTom in order to receive the traffic information related to where you are. The end date of your subscription remains the same, even if you do not send this information to us.

If your device still shows a current traffic subscription and a Factory Reset doesn't do the job, you'll need to contact TT directly to reinstate the service. No live operators these days, so the "Chat" service has to be employed with fingers crossed that you can convince it to connect you to a non-bot operator.
Hi, yes it's the symbol with two cars that is greyed out with an X next to it and my location marker is grey also, if I go to About it says my Traffic and Speed Cameras are "Activated"
I'm worried about being able to save my favourite places so I can reinstall them when I've done a reset, I remember once a long time ago doing it via Windows Explorer by dragging a file to desktop then dropping it back in later but I don't remember the details.

Thanks,
Ron

View attachment 6261

Look at the top right of the main menu.
If your Tomtom GO PREMIUM is not connected to the Tomtom Trafic service, the symbol
corresponding is marked with a cross.

View attachment 6262
Hi, yes it's my location icon that is greyed out and the traffic icon that you show is greyed out also with an X. But if I go to About it says my Traffic and Speed Camera services are "Activated"

Thanks,
Ron

Hi, yes it's my location icon that is greyed out and the traffic icon that you show is greyed out also with an X. But if I go to About it says my Traffic and Speed Camera services are "Activated"

Thanks,
Ron
If your location icon is grayed out, your GPS is not capturing satellites
leave your GPS on outside in a clear area towards the sky.

If your location icon is grayed out, your GPS is not capturing satellites
leave your GPS on outside in a clear area towards the sky.
Hi, Yes I took it outside to my van and plugged it in, still says my Traffic and Speed Camera Updates are validated but icon with 2 cars still greyed out. I set a route just to test it and no traffic updates. I took some pictures which may help.

Thanks,
Ron

Attachments

• tomtom1.jpg
    tomtom1.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 9
  • tomtom2.jpg
    tomtom2.jpg
    921.2 KB · Views: 9
  • tomtom3.jpg
    tomtom3.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 9
Question: have you accepted the sending of information to Tomtom?

If you are next to your home wifi, do you have traffic on your GPS?

If you still don't have traffic service, the best thing to do is contact Tomtom assistance to see if your SIM card is deactivated.

Question: have you accepted the sending of information to Tomtom?

If you are next to your home wifi, do you have traffic on your GPS?

If you still don't have traffic service, the best thing to do is contact Tomtom assistance to see if your SIM card is deactivated.
Yes it's the same if I have a wi-fi connection, my device came with free lifetime updates for Traffic, Maps and Speed Cameras, I'll send them another email and see what they say this time.

Thanks,
Ron

Hi, Yes I took it outside to my van and plugged it in, still says my Traffic and Speed Camera Updates are validated but icon with 2 cars still greyed out. I set a route just to test it and no traffic updates. I took some pictures which may help.

Thanks,
Ron
Picture 3 shows traffic activated surely? Maybe there ain't any traffic problems on your route. There isn't the 'two car X' symbol. Likewise it looks like you have a GPS signal also.
Sometimes when my 'Two car x' symbol is reluctant to disappear I turn my phone hotspot on. After a few minutes Tomtom auto connects to wi-fi and the traffic updates itself.

Picture 3 shows traffic activated surely? Maybe there ain't any traffic problems on your route. There isn't the 'two car X' symbol. Likewise it looks like you have a GPS signal also.
Sometimes when my 'Two car x' symbol is reluctant to disappear I turn my phone hotspot on. After a few minutes Tomtom auto connects to wi-fi and the traffic updates itself.
Hi, the icon with the two cars and the X should be white if live services are working correctly, I set a route as a trip to West Sussex so unlikely there would be no traffic problems on the M27/A27.
This is what TomTom support suggested...

"If you are unable to use the services, please try to factory reset the device and see if that helps. To perform a factory reset, click on the 4 dots on the bottom left-hand side of your device then click on Settings>System>Reset device.

Note that resetting your device removes all your saved places, however, once you log in on the MyDrive option on the device those are automatically restored."

I'm a bit confused as the guy at TomTom Support said if I do a factory reset it will automatically reinstall My Places/POI's as soon as I reconnect to My Drive again. I don't see how as I haven't transferred them anywhere. Is it really that easy?

Thanks,
Ron

Ask a Question