tomtom on Nexus 7 2

My job involves me travelling all round the country so my tomtom gets plenty of use, last week it broke so needed a replacement. I decided to buy the new Nexus 7 2013 as it could be used for sat nav and so many other things. After using a few of the free sat nav apps I realised none was as good as my previous tomtom so purchased the tomtom Europe app and maps. Its been the perfect solution BUT I also paid for the speed camera alerts at £16.99, these only seem to work when I have the Nexus connected to Wifi. I assumed the camera's would download and I would have them all the time just like on my previous TomTom. I know that the live stuff won't work but how come the camera's don't?

The android app doesn't support offline speedcams.

My guess is that it was part of the rush to get an app to market that they delayed building it until a future version, but no official comments from Tomtom yet.

How about POI support so far? pocketgpsworld has decent cam data for Europe, but is there any way to produce any kind of alert with a POI on the app yet?

If the app doesn't support it then they shouldn't give the option to purchase camera's as an add on or at least state that it won't work offline. How would I go about getting a refund?

Yes, Try PGPSW's Camera POIs if the TomTom app. accepts third-party POI files.

Alternatively, their stand-alone "CamerAlert" app. running side by side with the TomTom app may be an even better solution.It uses the same (unrivalled) database of camera locations as the POI method.

The Tomtom Android app permits custom POI, if you load .ov2 and .bmp files into the map folder. This is an unsupported (half built) feature that will show on the screen, but will not provide audible alerts.

What many people do is display the .ov2/.bmp files on the map, and then run the CameraAlert app in the background for the audible alerts.

Tomtom does say in the fine print that a data connection is required for speedcams and traffic. It is easily missed, but they'll probably use it as an excuse not to give you a refund if you call. But it won't hurt to try anyways.

Ask a Question