Map Zones can be bypassed for SD-card devices

Indeed on the more European centric forums we have been telling users how to get the full map rather than the zoned download but it does require an SDHC memory card.

For devices without a memory card expansion slot users are still being "sold down the river" by this map size increase - Mike

Good catch, mvl!

For the benefit of our many UK members, I'm going to make this a sticky for now.

Can anyone explain why TomTom have removed SD card slots from their new products? Is it just a cost cutting exercise or is it to limit map piracy?

I think it's a very retrograde step, as you can buy cheap satnavs for ?50 that have SDHC slots!

My XL350 (XL IQ Routes 2) has 2GB internal memory and no SD slot, and it came with Western Europe maps, and when I updated the maps I could only fit the North or South Western Europe on it! It's nuts. The device should have come with 4GB internally or an SD card slot, they must have been planning this map size increase for a while.

Last edited:
My guess? TomTom's ultimate goal is for any revisions, add-on's or new functionality to be thru Tomtom directly, with no ability for users to modify or add to their devices without TomTom's knowledge/consent. New sources of revenue are the number one priority, and Tomtom has plans to tap all those formerly free enhancements. SD cards could be problematic, and wouldn't work the the latest releases anyway. The newest models are already locked down. But Tomtom had these plans for awhile, thus SD slots disappeared. But that's only my opinion.

Last edited:
Yes I think you're right, but it's surely a dangerous game for TomTom to play when smartphones can do satnav duties nowadays, and there are many many cheaper satnav units that take SD cards.

The newest models are already locked down. But Tomtom had these plans for awhile, thus SD slots disappeared. But that's only my opinion.

The dumbing down the product line is one of the reasons why I would not own one of their newer models. I currently have a GO730 and it has the feature set I want and need. I refuse to pay for a unit that does not provide features that I have gotten used to.

TomTom is shooting themselves in the foot with the direction they are taking. They should be providing newer features instead of taking the features away. This is not the way to compete with the smartphone invasion.

Just my $.02 worth.

This is not the way to compete with the smartphone invasion. .

... or Garmin.

I visited their website recently and was astounded by the range of new features they have which TT have either never had, or worse - got rid of.

The dumbing down the product line is one of the reasons why I would not own one of their newer models. I currently have a GO730 and it has the feature set I want and need. I refuse to pay for a unit that does not provide features that I have gotten used to.

The Sony XNV LIVE does pretty much everything a GO730 did (once the app 10.x roadmap is completed).

However, only non-LIVE versions are available in the USA at this time. With the announcement of American 2505 LIVE and 2535 LIVE models, I have to assume a Sony LIVE would be next.

Former high end GO 730/930/940 owners have the Sony LIVE as the upgrade path. The current GO lineup is the upgrade path for upper-midrange models like the GO 630 and GO 740.

Hi MVL

Interesting post. I had spotted the new support page on the TomTom site too. I still haven't installed my 8GB CF card as I was worried that TomTom may block access after the zoning change. Now |I'm getting annoyed as it doesn't seem right that if I want to travel from my home in the UK to a central European location (my map set is Western and Central Europe) then I would have to stop at some arbitrary point to download a new map zone ..... and then do it on the return journey all over again.

Given that TomTom will not touch a Go 700, their approach to this must surely be in breach of EU consumer law. I bought the maps before the zoning came along and I therefore surely have the right to use ALL the maps if I wish .... not just part of them.

Before I start trying to invoke EU consumer law (!) does anyone have any information to suggest that if I just connect my Go 700 with its new 8GB CF card (in place of the existing 2GB drive) that TomTom Home will just permit me to download my full map set instead of the existing zoned components that I'm currently stuck with?

Please help!!
John

I do know that on the 720/730 models, if everything (application, maps folder, etc.) is copied to a sdhc card of sufficient size (at least 4 gb) and then the sdhc card is put into a card reader, then Home sees the card reader as the unit and will download the entire Europe map to the sdhc card.

Don't know if that will work with the 700 model though.

I've not specifically tried it on a Go700, but I have no reason to believe it won't work.

All Home does is check for available space.
If it doesn't see enough, then it offers a zoned map, if it does, it offers the full map.

So the only issue is that for older models which cannot use the SD card and internal memory simultaneously, you need to move EVERYTHING onto the card.

Personally, I have never needed to use a card reader either. Just leaving the SD card in the TomTom and selecting the card on Home start-up has been sufficient. (I know some have reported that Home has tried to put the map onto the card AND the internal memory, but that's never happened to me).

The Go-700 doesn't have a hard drive, it can be fitted with a CF memory card to replace the 2,5GB hard drive this is about the only option available as the device doesn't have a memory card slot - Mike

Doh...were we talking about a 700 then? :mmph: Just 'cos I wrote it in my reply, doesn't mean I was paying attention!

I started off answering the OP and veered into answering a later reply about 720s etc.

Last edited:
Go700 Dealing with Map Zones

Many thanks for the quick and coherent replies. It sounds as though I can use my new 8GB drive in my Go700.

In the past I have had major problems with TomTom backups failing and causing difficulty in getting map updates. With TomTom support I was able to format the drive in my Go 700 and reinstall using TomTom Home.

By the sound of it, I need to start with a blank formatted drive and rely on connection through TomTom Home to allow me to download all my maps. I was worried that there may be some software or hardware dongle that was pre-programmed with my drive size and would not let me download anything greater than 2.5GB.

I'll wait a day or two for responses on this forum and then I'll bite the bullet :D.
Thanks for all the help!:thumb:
Regards,
John

8GB drive fitted - everything works

Installed new card yesterday. Copie existing drive contents overe to new card and to laptop first. Then took TTG700 apart (thanks Mogolf, Artful and Simon Gould). Could not get gps card out of clips and ended up removing ribbon cable. Didn't get it in right first time, causing minor heart attack when TTG wouldn't fire up. Got it right second time though.

To overcome zoning it's necessary to remove the existing map (make sure to copy it to PC first). The new map (unzoned) can then be downloaded. TomTom Home does seem to look at drive capacity as part of the zoning process.

So now all updated and with a full map set. Thanks to this forum and particularly to DHN, MVL, Artful, Mogolf and Simon Gould. :thumb:
John

Ask a Question