Via120

Getting so tired of trawling the internet looking for information on this thing...

There appears to be a memory card slot under the flap on the bottom of my device. No mention in the downloaded manual - what is it? MicroSD? Nothing at all?

I don't see a 'battery charging' indicator on my device. Is this intentional?

Where can I find a list of symbols that pop up on the display? Would have thought that POIs and speed camera symbols would appear in the list where you select which to display, but no.
Can I make these symbols larger? God only knows how people with large cars read the display because I struggle to make out the symbols in my 106!

I read lots of instructions detailing copying and/or editing of files on devices. I cannot browse to mine; the only access I have is through that awful MyTomTomSA program. Is this also intentional? (on Win7x64)

Did I do the right thing in buying a Via?

Getting so tired of trawling the internet looking for information on this thing...

Then stop trawling and stay here... :p

There appears to be a memory card slot under the flap on the bottom of my device. No mention in the downloaded manual - what is it? MicroSD? Nothing at all?

This is a Via LIVE 120, yes? The slot probably contains the SIM card for LIVE services, deeply buried inside. There's no SD card slot on that model.

I don't see a 'battery charging' indicator on my device. Is this intentional?
No, I don;t think there is one on that model, (apart from the bi-colour LED in the power button?)

Where can I find a list of symbols that pop up on the display? Would have thought that POIs and speed camera symbols would appear in the list where you select which to display, but no.
Do they not? I don't have a Via to compare at the moment, but they do normally on all the other models I've used.
E.G. For POIs, If you go to Browse map then Find / POI / POI near Home / forward arrow / down arrow you should get a scrollable list of all the POI categories with their icons, like this...

POI_Category_List.jpg

Or for the Change preferences / Show POI on map menu, I get the same but with tickboxes

The camera icons may not appear on any list, but then I never use the TomTom camera data as it is not very good. I replace it with camera POIs from a third-party, and also have my own icons, based on the speed limit signs.

Can I make these symbols larger? God only knows how people with large cars read the display because I struggle to make out the symbols in my 106!

No, on older software you could make the icons quite a bit larger for your own POI categories only, by making the .bmp images themselves larger, but never the built-in ones.
And on recent software you cannot make your own icons more than a couple of pixels bigger.

I read lots of instructions detailing copying and/or editing of files on devices. I cannot browse to mine; the only access I have is through that awful MyTomTomSA program. Is this also intentional? (on Win7x64)
Correct. TomToms can no longer be seen as a "disk drive" in Windows Explorer. It is believed this happened as part of the deal TT had to strike with Microsoft to stop themselves getting sued for billions. Unfortunately, no one is going to be able to update or edit the thousands of webpages that describe the old method.

So you have to use MyTomTom, and the "Add community content" feature. This has only been partially implemented in the US so far, but works rather better in Europe.

Did I do the right thing in buying a Via?

Probably, but you may have preferred the older models. :)

Last edited:
This is a Via LIVE 120, yes? The slot probably contains the SIM card for LIVE services, deeply buried inside. There's no SD card slot on that model.
Seems a bit daft putting a flap there, then. :lol:

No, I don;t think there is one on that model, (apart from the bi-colour LED in the power button?)
Power button is on the back of the unit and has no LED. There is a battery icon that appears when it's in a low charge state and slightly different one that appears as you plug it in to a power source but that disappears as the "charging battery" message pops up and disappears from the screen, leaving no apparent indication.
Another annoyance on this... it doesn't appear to charge unless it's switched on; left it plugged in but switched off in the car socket for a whole working day and it didn't take anything.

Do they not? I don't have a Via to compare at the moment, but they do normally on all the other models I've used.
E.G. For POIs, If you go to Browse map then Find / POI / POI near Home / forward arrow / down arrow you should get a scrollable list of all the POI categories with their icons, like this...

View attachment 3370

Or for the Change preferences / Show POI on map menu, I get the same but with tickboxes

The camera icons may not appear on any list, but then I never use the TomTom camera data as it is not very good. I replace it with camera POIs from a third-party, and also have my own icons, based on the speed limit signs.
You're right, my bad. Well, sorta! :lol:
I had only checked the speed camera section since the icons appear with the same warning sounds that is set for cameras, but they're not on the screen that long, they're bleeding small and I'm driving when they appear. I'd just like to look at a list of symbols to familiarise myself with them.

No, on older software you could make the icons quite a bit larger for your own POI categories only, by making the .bmp images themselves larger, but never the built-in ones.
And on recent software you cannot make your own icons more than a couple of pixels bigger.
That sucks. Big time. No wonder larger TT screens are popular.

Correct. TomToms can no longer be seen as a "disk drive" in Windows Explorer. It is believed this happened as part of the deal TT had to strike with Microsoft to stop themselves getting sued for billions. Unfortunately, no one is going to be able to update or edit the thousands of webpages that describe the old method.

So you have to use MyTomTom, and the "Add community content" feature. This has only been partially implemented in the US so far, but works rather better in Europe.
Perhaps it's more likely that they don't like the idea of owners copying illegally sourced new maps to the device, circumventing the purchasing process.
MyTomTomSA really is a joke.

Probably, but you may have preferred the older models. :)
To be honest, this was the cheapest TT with bluetooth.
At ?180UK I would expect much more than what I have ended up with. I would be pleased as punch if this had only cost ?100 since that's about what it's worth.
The integrated mount cheapens the unit and makes fitting/removal stupidly awkward; the cheap, unresponsive power buitton on the back makes even powering up/down
awkward; MyTomTomSA makes successfully updating the unit Russian roulette.
No printed manual for something built for in-car use? How poor is that? Surely it wouldn't hit profits too hard to print it out since the information in it doesn't address the features in enough depth anyway.
What use is twelve months free use of services that aren't actually on the device?
I used to have TT5 on my XDAii many years ago and, yes, I would be happy with that if it had the newest maps.

Oh my! I seemed to have ended up in a rant!
I don't really feel bad toward the Via until I think what it cost me :lol:

Does this help for the camera icons? (taken from the Go1000 manual)

Camera_icons_TT.jpg

Does this help for the camera icons? (taken from the Go1000 manual)

View attachment 3373
Well the symbol I'm getting isn't on there.
It looks a little like the mobile speed camera one... it's like a black van shape silhouette with a question mark inside to the upper left of the symbol with a slightly larger scale front-on car logo to the bottom right.

Thanks for the effort, though!

... it's like a black van shape silhouette with a question mark inside to the upper left of the symbol
That's for "We're not sure what's in there, but whatever it is, it's probably going to cost you money!"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozzy Forbes

Latest Threads

Back