Need to format 6250 internal memory

need some help here TomTom support have been hopeless ,my 6250 truck pro get stuck loading right at the end ,I want to format the internal HDD to get rid of the corrupt software ,can somebody help me with this , working on Mac OS

tried all the TomTom support videos nothing is working

soft reset
hard reset
Ms dos screen
it won't load all the way to the end

Last edited:
I saw your answer .but I will ask elsewhere ,there may be somebody who knows something you dont, ,if you stop at the first answer you may never get to where you want to go

Good luck then if you find someone to format the internal memory of the GO 6250.

Ask all you want, Jim. Willy is correct when he says the user can't access the hard drive of that model.

Ask all you want, Jim. Willy is correct when he says the user can't access the hard drive of that model.
That's what I did ? , as there may be somebody who has found a workaround, who has more technical knowledge/ software tools than a standard user. I thought that was this site was about

That's what I did ? , as there may be somebody who has found a workaround, who has more technical knowledge/ software tools than a standard user. I thought that was this site was about
It is, but there are limits. I'll add a 3rd vote to the "can't format" list. Asking the same question in multiple threads won't change the answers you get.

It hasn't been possible to see the directory structure, and hence, format a device in the way you wish, for a couple of generations of TomToms now.

Trying to force the device into what we call "Recovery Mode" is the only solution when the device's firmware has become corrupted beyond hope.

If you cannot succeed with this procedure then you really are in trouble with that 6250. It's shown as the 2nd choice, in the lower part of this article:

I really hope you can get it running properly again, as the 6250 has a couple of nice features (like custom POI support) that you won't find on any new TomTom.

Responding to your first point only , not all people on the forums follow every group ,I appreciate Willy's help and advice ,however I have found asking in other sections can reveal results ,I found his reaction negative and unnecessary as a moderator, hence my response to him was negative

second point

I was able to see the directory structure with some software on my Mac ,if I can get this far maybe others have persisted further than I did and found a resolution ,so I asked .Not everybody gives up at the first hurdle .I definitely do not

lastly
I am going to see a guy tomorrow and hope we can fire this up again withe my findings as he claimed to have rescued many of the 6250 in the similar situation ,I will let you know how I get on ,it may cost me a few quid ,but I can live with that better than paying £400 or $715 in CD for a replacement

kind regards

JIm

second point

I was able to see the directory structure with some software on my Mac ,if I can get this far maybe others have persisted further than I did and found a resolution ,so I asked .Not everybody gives up at the first hurdle .I definitely do not
If you can see any of the directory structure apart from the little bit that the 169.x.x.x address provides as a server, there's something seriously wrong with your device. Finder shouldn't even see the device register as a storage device, much less show you any content. What did this directory structure look like? Screen shot available???

At best, if you look at a uSD card from that device, you may see some very large 'files' (while FAT32 files on the surface, they're really ext2 Linux partitions under the hood) that don't seem to mean anything.

Ask a Question