EASIEST Way to add custom sounds!

Birdman

birdmen
TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 920
Everyone knows that you can create an *.ogg file and name it the same as your POI name to associate a warning sound.

HOWEVER, there is a MUCH easier method and a simple way to reuse a sound file you created.

Follow these steps:

1) Create an *.ogg sound file (more details in STEP #5 on my website >>> HERE <<<)

2) If one doesn't exist, create a /sounds folder (all lower case) on the root of your TomTom

3) Copy the *.ogg file from step 1 into the /sounds folder

4) That's it!

To use this custom file, simply follow the normal steps for selecting an alert sound and this new file shows up as one of the selections!

FOR EXAMPLE:
* I created a file called "zoo.ogg"

* I select CHANGE PREFERENCES -> MANAGE POIS -> WARN WHEN NEAR POI -> ZOO -> 300 yards

* The following is the next screen that shows up with my new sound option:
help_sound.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Birdman...but one question...in the posting you say to copy the .ogg file into the sounds folder..but on your website you say to "Copy the *.ogg file from step #4 into the map folder in which you created the POI.
- In my example, it is the 'USA_and_Canada' folder
- Any alert that is enabled for your POI category will now use this *.ogg sound clip"

Which is correct? The sound folder or the map folder?

Thanks Birdman...but one question...in the posting you say to copy the .ogg file into the sounds folder..but on your website you say to "Copy the *.ogg file from step #4 into the map folder in which you created the POI.
- In my example, it is the 'USA_and_Canada' folder
- Any alert that is enabled for your POI category will now use this *.ogg sound clip"

Which is correct? The sound folder or the map folder?

Sorry for the long time response on this one...I must have missed your post.

If you are going to create a specific *.ogg file for a specific POI, then it goes in your /USA_and_Canada folder, along with the *.ov2 file for your POI. For Example:
* You have a POI named Friends
* The POI filename is friends.ov2 and is located in the /USA_and_Canada folder
* You create an ogg file that will ONLY be used for your friends POI and name it friends.ogg
* You place the friends.ogg file in the /USA_and_Canada folder

However, if you want to add a sound icon that you can select from the TomTom menu for ANY POI, then you must place the *.ogg file into the /sounds folder.

By placing a sound file in the /sounds folder (lets use my zoo.ogg example above), you are allowing the abilty to simply use the TomTom menu's to assign a sound. When you do use this method, when you select the zoo icon, the TomTom will automatically create the zoo.ogg file in the /USA_and_Canada folder for you.

Last edited:

Ask a Question