Blackberry 8830 Verizon and Tom Tom 930 Works for Data

After extensive research and trying different things, I finally got the 8830 on verizon to work with the data on Tom Tom 930. Below are the steps:

1. You must sign up for tethering.
2. You must go to Verizon Wireless and download VZmanager. Install it on a pc with the 8830 connected. You have to get the DUN software on the 8830.
3. You then must tether the phone to the VZmanager PC and dial in. This makes sure that tethering works. Disconnect and log off. Make sure your Tom Tom and the 8830 are paired via bluetooth. Go to Tom Tom Services and pick weather.
4. You then set up the Tom Tom 930
a. Access point : vzw
b. username : (e-mail address removed)
c. password : phonenumber
d. Automatic DHCP and DNS
e. No script
5. The Tom Tom completes the set up and then all data works.

The only thing that I cannot get working now is reading or displaying txt messages.

Hope this helps. Joe

Any idea if this is doable with the 730 class series?

Thanks!

I have this working currently............as a matter of fact the traffic just started working this morning out of the blue. I had all other services working except traffic until today.

My setup is a verizon 8830 with unlimited data and tethering and a 730!

After extensive research and trying different things, I finally got the 8830 on verizon to work with the data on Tom Tom 930. Below are the steps:

2. You must go to Verizon Wireless and download VZmanager. Install it on a pc with the 8830 connected. You have to get the DUN software on the 8830.
3. You then must tether the phone to the VZmanager PC and dial in. This makes sure that tethering works. Disconnect and log off. Make sure your Tom Tom and the 8830 are paired via bluetooth. Go to Tom Tom Services and pick weather.
e. No script

The only thing that I cannot get working now is reading or displaying txt messages.

Hope this helps. Joe

The details are completely different than what I used for my Verizon Blackberry 8130, and I didn't have to install anything on the PC either. Other than verifying that tethering works, I don't see what installing anything on the PC does for you.

Anyway, if it worked for you, you might want to post the details in the appropriate sticky in this sub-forum.

I found the VZ(Access)manager softwear and downloaded/installed. But I at a loss as to how to get the DUN software onto my phone. Also, I talked to Verizon and was told that tethering wont do anything for my phone. Can you explain more clearly the steps you took to get the above to work? Thanks.

Last edited:
I found the VZ(Access)manager softwear and downloaded/installed. But I at a loss as to how to get the DUN software onto my phone. Also, I talked to Verizon and was told that tethering wont do anything for my phone. Can you explain more clearly the steps you took to get the above to work? Thanks.

There's nothing to install on the phone itself. In fact, if you only plan on using tethering with your TomTom, you don't need to install anything anywhere - not even on your PC.

Depending on your carrier, you may need to have tethering enabled - usually for a monthly fee. With Verizon, the monthly fee can be as high as $30. Some carriers (Nextel, for one) allow tethering at no additional cost (assuming you have some sort of data plan).

Once that's done, all you need to do is "pair" your TomTom with your bluetooth-enabled phone, as long as your phone supports the bluetooth DUN profile (it's possible that some don't support bluetooth DUN, but I haven't run into any). Once the hands-free portion of the pairing process is complete, your TomTom will tell you what other services your phone supports, and ask you if you want to set them up. When setting up the data connection with a Verizon phone, you should refer to the sticky thread... just look for a more recent post regarding a Verizon phone. The only thing you'll really need to know is that the dial string in "#777" (without the quotes).

Verizon 8830 and Blackberry 930T do not like eachother!

e. No script

Hope this helps. Joe

:mad: Joe,
Thanks for the extensive research, but I followed your instructions to the iota and could not get it to work. I have had the tethering for quite a while and the blue tooth works as well.
Would love to use the data if I can get it to work.
Thanks

e. No script

Hope this helps. Joe

SUCCESS!!!
I did need to call Verizon tech support because they never confirmed that tethering was enabled on my phone. Once done, the instructions above worked like a charm.

Only problem I have now is that once the connection is made from the tomtom to my blackberry I lose internet access on the phone. I get a message that the radio is off. I can't seem to disable the modem (tethering) on blackberry. The only way I get things working again is to pull the battery on the phone. Any thoughts on this?

THANKS

Last edited:
...Only problem I have now is that once the connection is made from the tomtom to my blackberry I lose internet access on the phone. I get a message that the radio is off. I can't seem to disable the modem (tethering) on blackberry. The only way I get things working again is to pull the battery on the phone. Any thoughts on this?

THANKS

All you should have to do is turn off Bluetooth on your phone. That will terminate the connection with your TomTom and the tethered data connection.

Ask a Question