TT1 3ed Trip Performance

wup

Recently took a trip running a new TT1 and a Garman i2 (2 yr old ). Some of the tt1 disappointments were:

Although on a major interstate in Al, the TT didn't show any rest areas along the route other than at the state line. The Garman with old maps showed everyone I passed. To me when traveling with a family, rest area locations are a necessity and it's difficult to understand why the TT with probably 4-5 times the POIs as the Garman, failed to have them.

Estimated time of arrival for the TT was useless. The initial estimate was overestimated by 90%. Overestimation by a large percent seems to be normal for TT. It seems that TT assumes driving below the speed limit by 10-15 m/h. This should be an easy software fix. Multiplying the ETA by .7 would make it more realistic. The Garmin was remarkedly accurate on the ETA.

Twenty % of the time the TT didn't name roads that were on the map. I elected to turn on one un-named road and the name popped up after the turn. That indicated the name was in the sys but wasn't displayed unless you were driving on it. The Garman had almost all roads named. When the Garman and TT differed on a road name, generally the Garmin was correct. The Garmin displayed roads that the TT didn't.

The TT auto zoom needs to be adusted where it displays futher out than it currently does. Better yet allow manual adjust that doesn't return to default in a few seconds. If you are driving 80 m/h or more there is little time to react to exits once they are displayed. Since the Garman allows you to manually adjust the zoom, you can adjust out to fit your needs.

The planned route / navigation was poor on both. I drove the best route and each unit constantly wanted me to take a turn to get me back to its selected route. The TT did this for ~ 6 mi even though I requested an alternate route. On it's last attempt to get me back to the original route, it showed the route distance of 95 mi. Then it recalculated to the route I was actually taking and the route distance changed to 75 mi. The Garmin seems to accept the route you are driving sooner by recalculating to that route sooner.

If I had never used a Garman, I would thought the TT to be exceptional. Even with the short comings the TT1 is a good gps for the $$$$. It wouldn't take much to correct what I consider short comings and it would be my preferred gps.

Does anyone know if the more expensive TT has the same shortcoming or not. I have read that the North American map detail is better with more detail.

This is a great forum with a lot of good info!

I think the higher models (720) let you set the zoom level and can keep it there with the newer Nav7 firmware.

The POI's and ETA are crappy on the TomTom compared to Garmin like you say. Wish TomTom would fix these issues as I really like my One. Especially the Rest Areas.... a very nice POI to know about when on a trip with the GPS.

a garmin street pilot I2 was my first Navi....then i moved to a Magellan Roadmate 360 (Still own)...and now i just got the TT 1 New Edition.....

All very different in there own ways...i loved the garmin for its poi's and how fast it calculated routes.......the magellan was great as well other than a few times it would freeze or lose satellite signal when i was lost........now well see how the tom tom compares....

Bogus ETA Times

I'm very pleased with my TomTom One 3rd Edition except for the calculation for the Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA). I'm operating in kilometres and thought that this may be the reason for the vastly overestimated times. On a 6 or 7 hour trip on the freeways, the initial time is overestimated by several hours. Even after travelling for 4 or 5 hours, the calculation is still way too conservative. It isn't until you get down to the last 50 kilometres or 30 miles, does it get it close to being right, which by then is not too useful.

Is this a widespread problem, and if so, is a software fix likely to appear.

Otherwise, it's amazing technology for the price. It's really helped me greatly when travelling down here in South Florida, especially at night.

Hope someone can help me out.

Problem is that IQ routing which supposedly takes into consideration real world experience in driving roads and, therefore, more realistic ETA's is not available for your model (only the Go models -- x20, x30 and x40 (Europe only) have IQ routing)

Not much that can be done, I'm afraid.

Ask a Question