920 and the Palm Centro

TomTom Model(s)
510 and 920T
I have a Sprint Palm Centro and I was wondering if there is a way to set up the TomTom Plus services with this phone. I had it set up with my Treo 650, but it looks as if this phone doesnt have dial up networking.

i believe the Centro does have a DUN profile.
i have a treo 750 (WM6) and was able to set it up fine.
Activated the bluetooth on the phone and initiated search with the 920.
it asked to pair, and after pairing it asked me the country and the service provider (I am with ATT but used to be Cingular, so I chose Cingular mediaworks) and it all set up fine after that.

What error are you getting?

i believe the Centro does have a DUN profile.
i have a treo 750 (WM6) and was able to set it up fine.
Activated the bluetooth on the phone and initiated search with the 920.
it asked to pair, and after pairing it asked me the country and the service provider (I am with ATT but used to be Cingular, so I chose Cingular mediaworks) and it all set up fine after that.

What error are you getting?

It says it cant connect to wireless data. I have sprint as my mobile service provider.

i have seen that error with my windows mobile phone and i know how to solve it there. I will describe it here, and maybe it will help you solve the problem?

in my treo750, if my phone is connected to 3g (say I checked my email or browse on the phone - the phone gets connected) - then I get a little 3g icon with two arrows implying its connected to 3g.

Alternately i can choose to Disconnect wireless data, in which case the arrows go away and i just have the 3g icon.

For my tomtom to receive wireless data, i have to do the latter, meaning the phone cannot be connected to the internet, if it is to be used as a modem by the 920T. So I have to disable my automatic email checking, while using it as a modem. I wish there was an alternative (if anyone knows one, please let me know)

Maybe, that is what is happening with you and you need to ensure that the phone itself is not attempting to connect to the internet at the same time that the GPS is trying to connect through the phone

I have a Sprint Palm Centro and I was wondering if there is a way to set up the TomTom Plus services with this phone. I had it set up with my Treo 650, but it looks as if this phone doesnt have dial up networking.
It's somewhat complicated but you can make it work...i use a treo 700p and was able to set up the plus services. it should work the exact same with centro. I got the details from this website (http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/) which guides you through a set up that will allow you to use your treo as a bluetooth modem so you can get wireless internet access anywhere you go. Oh, by the way...i use sprint so i don't really know if it works the same with the other services. Here are the steps in summary:

1-download Resco Explorer (http://www.resco.net/palm/explorer/default.asp)
2-download this hack (http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/PhoneInterfaceLibrary_tether_hack.prc)
3-transfer hack file to RAM of your phone using Resco Explorer (see instruction on website i listed above)
4-if you have sprint, select other carrier in tomtom set up...if your carrier is listed then select it and continue
5-in tomtom's set up process type your username and password that your wireless service uses (username can be found under "prefs" and "network" on your phone) --> again refer to that website above
5-type #777 when asked (default in tomtom is something like *99#)

this should work...i know it seems confusing but if you need more help, let me know. Also, this hack allows you to use the sprint vision service (which only costs $15/month) instead of the overpriced phone-as-modem service which i think costs in the $40-50 range. If you have a bluetooth enabled computer you can access the internet for free with this trick as well.

Last edited:
Finally - data services on my Cingular / AT&T Treo 750

i have seen that error with my windows mobile phone and i know how to solve it there. I will describe it here, and maybe it will help you solve the problem?

in my treo750, if my phone is connected to 3g (say I checked my email or browse on the phone - the phone gets connected) - then I get a little 3g icon with two arrows implying its connected to 3g.

Alternately i can choose to Disconnect wireless data, in which case the arrows go away and i just have the 3g icon.

For my tomtom to receive wireless data, i have to do the latter, meaning the phone cannot be connected to the internet, if it is to be used as a modem by the 920T. So I have to disable my automatic email checking, while using it as a modem. I wish there was an alternative (if anyone knows one, please let me know)

Maybe, that is what is happening with you and you need to ensure that the phone itself is not attempting to connect to the internet at the same time that the GPS is trying to connect through the phone

This worked for me. I set ActiveSync to manually Sync email (so it doesn't auto-connect) and then disconnected the 3G connection, and "hey presto" my TomTom GO 920 now connects using the Cingular (media) profile.

chuckydoll, did you ever get the PLUS Services working on on your GO 920 w/ your Centro?

No luck here. I've tried both my Treo 755P AND Centro w/ a GO 920T and couldn't get the PLUS Services working.

Have you guys tried using the bluetooth_dun file? You can get it at TreoCentral. Once that's installed, you simply activate bluetooth on your 755P / Centro and the TomTom will recognize the data capabilities. Once that's done, you'll need your powervision username and password so you can input it in your TomTom when setting up the PLUS services.

I got everything working w/ my 755P a little bit after my posting above. Forgot to post an update on this thread though.

Here is a way to do it:

Log-in to your sprintpcs.com account and make sure you have a wireless web username and password (power vision), they can be found on the main page and then select settings and passwords and look at the lower left hand of the page and you will see it there. If you don't know the password then select the icon under web user password and select a new password. Write these down, you will need them later.

Go to http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html and download USB modem (don't worry, it has a choice for Bluetooth). Install the .prc file onto your Centro by clicking on the file. This program costs $25 (free trial)but it is worth it to me with my truck requiring $$$ Fuel. Go to the program on your Centro and click on the icon. Choose connection type (bluetooth) and then click on enable modem. Your Centro will reboot.

Go to your TT 920 and setup your settings for TomTom Plus services.
Access point: blank
username: Your Vision username you wrote down from sprintpcs.com
password: Your Vision password you wrote down from sprintpcs.com
IP: Auto
DNS: Auto
Number to dial: #777
Log-in: Blank
You are done!

It worked the first time for me. It seems it will work for all the Palm phones out there. Good Luck!

Last edited:
That's how I did it as well. You don't have to buy the program though. There are free alternatives which you can find by searching on TreoCentral. I had one right before I traded my Centro in for a HTC Touch.

I don't remember. I dumped my Treo 755P and Centro awhile ago. Why don't you ask them on the TreoCentral forums?

Here is a way to do it:

Log-in to your sprintpcs.com account and make sure you have a wireless web username and password (power vision), they can be found on the main page and then select settings and passwords and look at the lower left hand of the page and you will see it there. If you don't know the password then select the icon under web user password and select a new password. Write these down, you will need them later.

Go to http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html and download USB modem (don't worry, it has a choice for Bluetooth). Install the .prc file onto your Centro by clicking on the file. This program costs $25 (free trial)but it is worth it to me with my truck requiring $$$ Fuel. Go to the program on your Centro and click on the icon. Choose connection type (bluetooth) and then click on enable modem. Your Centro will reboot.

Go to your TT 920 and setup your settings for TomTom Plus services.
Access point: blank
username: Your Vision username you wrote down from sprintpcs.com
password: Your Vision password you wrote down from sprintpcs.com
IP: Auto
DNS: Auto
Number to dial: #777
Log-in: Blank
You are done!

It worked the first time for me. It seems it will work for all the Palm phones out there. Good Luck!

I did everything you mentioned but the TomTom says unable to set up wireless data connection. What is going on??? I am able to connect via bluetooth to answer my cell phone on the 920T for voice.... but not for wireless data!! This is very frustrating. I have Sprint as well. Please help. Thanks

Treo 755p and 920

No luck here. I've tried both my Treo 755P AND Centro w/ a GO 920T and couldn't get the PLUS Services working.

I am using the Treo 755p (sprint) with my 920 and the PLUS services work as well. The only think that doesn't work is traffic which is due to the sprint network. I called tomtom and they said that the signal they send is not compatible with the sprint network and that's why traffic doesn't work. I use the other services though!

Ask a Question