How to do screendump?

I found on another site to do screendump/screencapture on TTG910 executing the following:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/insidetomtomgo910.php

cat /dev/fb > /mnt/sdcard/capture.raw

It says to execute from a shell or writing shell script. However you need a serial cable to connect and then running it. From another site, it said it was doable using BT to connect then run the script.

In anycase, since I don't have serial and my comp. has no BT, I can't even try it out. But when TTG loads, it runs the cleanup.txt file. Is it possible to put something in there to run it instead?

Following Suntime app instruction,

daemon|suntime/sumtime|

I tried

daemon|cat /dev/fb > /capture.raw

but it didn't work.

I also tried

daemon|sleep 10; cat /dev/fb > /capture.raw

But it didn't work either. No file was created.

Anyone knows an easy way to do screen capture??

What kind of screen capturing do you want to do? I connect my ONE to my laptop, open HOME, start MY ONE, then take printscreens with a 3rd party program on my laptop...

Or are you wanting to take screenshoots while enroute?

Battom, I agree with you. I do the same using print screen. This option hamproof is referring to is capturing screen views while the unit is on, anywhere.

I figured as much and I've been doing some reading tongiht, as you can see I am STILL up. :)

(I use snagit when i'm connected)... but why would one want to capture the screen while enroute? I see an accident happening. Though the Driver Educator in me says there is no "accident"...we call them CRASHES

Hopefully hamproof will come back soon and give some more details...

Hopefully hamproof will come back soon and give some more details...

Hey guys... I don't necessary want to capture enroute, though it might be a good option as well.

I can do screen captures while my TTG is connected via USB to TT Home either using 3rd. party software or just simple CTRL PRTSCRN and then paste into Photoshop for example. However, while my TTG700 is docked and *viewed* through TT Home, I can navigate through every menu option EXCEPT for Tripmaster (the only 3rd. party software I've installed). Clicking on Tripmaster in the *emulated* screen on TT Home, doesn't do anything.

So, for me to do screen caps for Tripmaster, I've to use a digital camera.

yeah I don't think there is a way to emulate third party software through HOME.... yet. But a digital camera typically does a descent job! :)

You just want an image of the screen showing on the TT right?

If so, there is a much, much easier way to do it! And you can do it anywhere, without cables...

1. Attach your TT to a PC, and choose to open/explore the TT,
2. Create a new folder in the root directory of your TT, and call it 'screen' (without quote marks),
3. Go into the new 'screen' directory, right-click and choose 'New..' > Text Document, type 'capture' (no quote marks) then hit enter, then enter again at the prompt (are you sure you want to, blah, blah??).
4. Safely eject/remove the TT from the PC.

Now (here comes the clever bit!), whenever you want to capture the screen, just press the top-left corner of the TT screen. You will hear a 'camera' noise. An image (or images) of the screen is now saved in the screen folder you created! :)

Umm... Either I'm a victim of a joke or I did something wrong... or this won't work on a ONE.

I tested this on my way to work this morning.... pressing the upper left corner of my TT screen only zoomed me in.... :(

I haven't tried it, but I seriously doubt this will work. Besides even if it works, the upper left hand corner for Tripmaster does something else. So, I'm quite certain this is a joke.

we'll have to wait for Spook to come back and let us in on this either way. though I've seen his posts before and he seems pretty technical...

spook, was this device specific? or just to see who bit first? ;)

I haven't tried it, but I seriously doubt this will work.
Why don't you try it then? Why do you seriously doubt it will work?
Try it before you diss it, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Besides even if it works, the upper left hand corner for Tripmaster does something else. So, I'm quite certain this is a joke.
You may be right about Tripmaster, as it is a 3rd-party app. I don't have it so I can't tell you.

Why would it be a joke? It wouldn't be at all funny would it? Jokes are usually funny (mine are anyway).

Umm... Either I'm a victim of a joke or I did something wrong... or this won't work on a ONE.
Again, this is no joke. It is not device specific, AFAIK it works on all TT's (even Navigator).

You must be doing something wrong. Maybe you did what I did first time I tried this and created a text file called capture?

If you re-read my instructions you will see that you select to create a new text file, but then name it only capture (i.e.: no .txt extension). Don't click on the name, just start typing so that the whole name is replaced! That's why I said to hit enter twice, the second time is to confirm that you want to change the filetype (which (Windows says) may cause it to become unstable, etc.).

.. pressing the upper left corner of my TT screen only zoomed me in.... :(
That's the only downside! When this is active, you can't zoom out coz every time you try you do a screen capture instead!

You can of course deactivate the functionality by renaming the screen folder of capture file.

Thanks Spook. I knew it was something like that. I did infact neglect to remove the .txt extension. I will try again and post my results. I didn't doubt you, but thought MAYBE you were messin' with us a little..... it happens from time to time ;)

Hey this works! But Gaaawwwwdd is it slllllowwwwww. About 20 seconds after I touch the screen i hear the camera 'click'. Now to see the images it catches...

HA! No kidding!

This is great! No coversion needed it saves every single 'click' as a perfect 320 X 240 bmp file under the screen directory. Nice share spook! Kudos there man!

now... any idea what makes the file names the way they are? ie "dump210408765" for instance.... doesn't appear to be a date or time stamp but i figure it must be...

and.... Pedro you'll appreciate this... as will fanchee (and probably any other MAC users) it will take shots whiel connected to HOME as well.

Nice easy app for screen shooting trouble tips! Thanks again Spook for the joke... I mean info ;)

please let me know if the 'reaction time' is slow on yours too. your ONE I mean... not when you are connected to the MAC, but i would still be interested to know if it works on MACs HOME...

...it should

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hairyargile

Latest Threads

Back