16 GB SD Card

TomTom Model(s)
TT910/TT920t
I know tis has been mentioned before. Just want to make sure that a 16 GB SD card WILL work in a tt920. Is this true? Is there anything special that I should know before i purchase one?

I know tis has been mentioned before. Just want to make sure that a 16 GB SD card WILL work in a tt920. Is this true? Is there anything special that I should know before i purchase one?

Curious as to what you think you need such a large sd card for? The 920 already comes with NA & European maps, does it not?

Even if you plan to buy more and, as well, load up with lots of mp3's and images, I don't see why they would take up 16 gigs (plus what is on internal memory).

What am I missing?

A lot of people have Ipods and other mp3 players that hold more than 16gigs. A bigger card will hold more of their music. I am using a 16 gig sdhc card in my tt920. I did have to buy a different card reader to install the files though.

Last edited:
I got an 8 gig card this weekend and couldn't get it to read in my 920. I have an external USB sd card reader and formatted the card fat 32 because I read somewhere that helped. I can put around 8 gigs of music on it and it works fine in windows explorer. It shows the capacity at about 7.6 or something like that.

When I put the card in the 920 it shows up in Windows explorer as drive F: and says that it needs to be formatted even though I already did it and have it mostly full of music. If I click it to format it, it will only allow my to format to 3.8 gig or something like that. Any ideas? I also read somewhere that maybe a different sd card reader would format it better. Or is there some other program besides Windows Explorer to use?

I would like to get the card full with 8 gig of music so when I travel which I do often for work and rent cars, I can have it with me. I usually have my MP3 player in my car so I don't need it there.

Curious as to what you think you need such a large sd card for? The 920 already comes with NA & European maps, does it not?

Even if you plan to buy more and, as well, load up with lots of mp3's and images, I don't see why they would take up 16 gigs (plus what is on internal memory).

What am I missing?

Some of us have older 910 maps we want to keep handy as well as gigs of music! LoL

I sold my old 910 for top dollar with upgraded 710 maps that I bought for that purpose. Then, I was able to transfer my old maps to my new device (can be done once every 6 months). Good thing too, as there is one incidence in the UK where the map devolved....

I got an 8 gig card this weekend and couldn't get it to read in my 920. I have an external USB sd card reader and formatted the card fat 32 because I read somewhere that helped. I can put around 8 gigs of music on it and it works fine in windows explorer. It shows the capacity at about 7.6 or something like that.

When I put the card in the 920 it shows up in Windows explorer as drive F: and says that it needs to be formatted even though I already did it and have it mostly full of music. If I click it to format it, it will only allow my to format to 3.8 gig or something like that. Any ideas? I also read somewhere that maybe a different sd card reader would format it better. Or is there some other program besides Windows Explorer to use?

I would like to get the card full with 8 gig of music so when I travel which I do often for work and rent cars, I can have it with me. I usually have my MP3 player in my car so I don't need it there.

The problem is that the card, when in the 920, will not get read properly for formatting. Use a card reader to do the formatting and loading of stuff, as you did. But, when you insert it into the 920, do a pin reset in the bottom. Then the unit should read all of the items on the card.

ok got my 8 gig to work. Followed these instructions off another site. I have about 6 gig of music on it working fine.

How I got a Transcend 8gb class 6 SDHC (TS8GSDHC6) to work in the TomTom 920 at 8g.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-8GB...d_bxgy_e_text_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1199412914&sr=8-1

1. Load the SD card into TomTom
2. Using Windows XP format the SD card
3. The card will only be formatted to 4 gig (for now)
4. Restart Home
5. The TomTom will ask which you wish to use (say the SD card)
6. Go ahead and let it update (mine placed the mp3, voices folder on the card along with a couple of other files)
7. Exit Home and remove the SD Card from the 920
8. Place the SD card into a modern SD card reader (I ordered a $3.45 + shipping white SanDisk bulk one from amazon which works fine)
9. Create a directory on your hard drive
10. Copy all the files and folders from the SD card to this folder
11. Reformat the SD sd card this time it should allow formatting to 8g (actually 7.51g)
12. Copy all the files you earlier copied off the SD card back onto it
13. Reinsert the SD card into TomTom 920
14. Turn the 920 back on and start Home
15. Again select the SD card as the one you wish to use (note it should say about 7.5g available)
16. You can then go to my computer and see that the SD card appears as a 7.5g drive there also
17. Then just use as you normally would.

A small test using one album of mp3's copied to the mp3 folder on the SD card worked fine.

I am using dBpoweramp's batch conversion utility to convert my wma's to mp3 by just setting the mp3 folder on the SD card as the target. I 'll update with report on success after I have filled the SD card up with several gigs of music.

ok got my 8 gig to work. Followed these instructions off another site. I have about 6 gig of music on it working fine.

How I got a Transcend 8gb class 6 SDHC (TS8GSDHC6) to work in the TomTom 920 at 8g.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-8GB...d_bxgy_e_text_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1199412914&sr=8-1

1. Load the SD card into TomTom
2. Using Windows XP format the SD card
3. The card will only be formatted to 4 gig (for now)
4. Restart Home
5. The TomTom will ask which you wish to use (say the SD card)
6. Go ahead and let it update (mine placed the mp3, voices folder on the card along with a couple of other files)
7. Exit Home and remove the SD Card from the 920
8. Place the SD card into a modern SD card reader (I ordered a $3.45 + shipping white SanDisk bulk one from amazon which works fine)
9. Create a directory on your hard drive
10. Copy all the files and folders from the SD card to this folder
11. Reformat the SD sd card this time it should allow formatting to 8g (actually 7.51g)
12. Copy all the files you earlier copied off the SD card back onto it
13. Reinsert the SD card into TomTom 920
14. Turn the 920 back on and start Home
15. Again select the SD card as the one you wish to use (note it should say about 7.5g available)
16. You can then go to my computer and see that the SD card appears as a 7.5g drive there also
17. Then just use as you normally would.

A small test using one album of mp3's copied to the mp3 folder on the SD card worked fine.

I am using dBpoweramp's batch conversion utility to convert my wma's to mp3 by just setting the mp3 folder on the SD card as the target. I 'll update with report on success after I have filled the SD card up with several gigs of music.

Glad to see my directions helped. :) You still need to copy mp3s to the card using the adapter rather than TomTom to insure reliable transfers. But once they have been copied to the SD TomTom reads them just fine.

Ask a Question