Wal-Mart - 1.4

Download and unzip to your TomTom's Map folder.

09/13/06 - 1746 Count
12/26/06 - 1827 Count
01/13/07 - Update with Major Cities
01/12/08 - Update: Locations provided by webracin from official site

Revision 1.4

Attachments

• Wal-mart.zip
    112.5 KB · Views: 2,501
Last edited by a moderator:
Coverage of POIs?

I downloaded what appeared to be the most useful POIs. On a trip we might look for Walmarts, McDonalds, Applebees and Outbacks.

The only one I could locate by map in my part of south central Michigan was an Outback in Jackson MI.

Walmarts in this part of Michigan weren't displayed, and when asked to choose one, the TT910 displays Walmart followed by a phone number, none of the area codes in Michigan as far as I could tell. Ditto with McDonalds. Applebees entries use the entire screen to show "Applebee's Neighborhood Grill" so that not even a phone number or city-state could be displayed.

Outback OTOH shows address and town and shows southern Michigan coverage.

Without knowing where original data is found to create a POI list, is it possible to show city-state before phone, and to indicate before a download what part of the US is covered?

Downloaded the walmart file and found that apparently none of the many in our region are listed.

I downloaded what appeared to be the most useful POIs. On a trip we might look for Walmarts, McDonalds, Applebees and Outbacks.

The only one I could locate by map in my part of south central Michigan was an Outback in Jackson MI.

Walmarts in this part of Michigan weren't displayed, and when asked to choose one, the TT910 displays Walmart followed by a phone number, none of the area codes in Michigan as far as I could tell. Ditto with McDonalds. Applebees entries use the entire screen to show "Applebee's Neighborhood Grill" so that not even a phone number or city-state could be displayed.

Outback OTOH shows address and town and shows southern Michigan coverage.

Without knowing where original data is found to create a POI list, is it possible to show city-state before phone, and to indicate before a download what part of the US is covered?

Use http://www.poiedit.com/ and you can customize them, however, if you would navigate to a poi it should always show you the nearest location.

We are working to see how we might be able to provide the most accurate POIS for everyone, please be patient as we are doing it out of our own time. Thanks for the support everyone!

Just Updated the Walmart file, can someone please confirm if its more accurate then before please. Thanks!

Thanks for all you guys are doing. I tried the later file but still not showing my home region.

Thanks for all you guys are doing. I tried the later file but still not showing my home region.

Ok updated with TN stores and thanks for pointing it out. Thats why it is very important we get feedback from people and where or what state you are at. :D

Thanks for the new POI Jason. I know it takes a lot of time and this is not your job but we certainly appreciate the effort. Still no local Wal Marts are listed if I am doing this correctly. Again, thanks for taking your personal time to help those of us who must rely on others. Maybe we can get a tutorial category sometime and you can become a teacher!

Hi Jason,

First, let me start of by thanking you for the time and effort you put into creating these POI files for free. Phenomenal job!

My question is, I live in East Texas and there's a Wal-Mart in Mineola, TX which is closest to me. That does not appear on the POI file, so I thought I might just try to add it myself.

I drove to Wal-Mart, and tried to add POI under catagory Wal-Mart and couldn't figure out how to do that. Am I missing something?

Thanks again!

I'm not sure how to edit the POIs, but there are no Wal-Mart entries near me in Utah (area code 801).

Wal-Mart POI

I recently installed the Wal-Mart file and it shows both of the locations in the area I live which is Tuscaloosa/Northport, AL.:)

I have a Garmin Nuvi with a (what seems to be) complete Wal-Mart POI file, and I just converted it to TomTom and it works great!

Awesome!!

Jason:

I got the Tom Tom One for Xmas. It couldn't have come at a better time as this past weekend my wife and I drove from Dover, NH to Toronto Canada. We were talking about how we should add Walmart as a POI but until tonight we didin't know how and we had loaded some in our area as favorites. Of course we have to know where they are to do that. I just installed your zip file and there doesn't seem to be any listed in any of the New England States.

I just wanted too thank you for a GREAT idea. I'll play with what I have so far and maybe add what I can once i figure out how to edit these. In your opinion, is it better to use one of those online PIO editors? Or download the one you point everyone too?

Thanks again for great work... on your own time too apparently!!

Steve

Ask a Question